Polytechnic (Diploma) in Mechanical Engineering provides broad-based and diverse engineering learning in the areas like thermodynamics, solid and fluid mechanics, combustion, instrumentation and control, material science, product and system design and manufacturing. The program seeks to provide more accessible and quality education and training to manufacturing personnel to meet the real world requirements of manufacturing and production industry.
Polytechnic (Diploma) in Mechanical Engineering is a three year program that moulds the students for professional practice in the era of rapidly advancing interdisciplinary technology. The course also ensures to develop self-reliance, creativity, business and moral ethics, leadership and motivation in the students. This is a versatile course that provides broad-based education that enables you to excel in diverse career choices. The program’s strong emphasis on applied design skills gives provides you edge in creating innovative solutions for using clean energy, designing and manufacturing products and developing new materials and processes.
In the first year, students will learn the fundamentals of mechanical engineering with a focus on material and designing skills. It covers modules such as engineering materials, manufacturing technology and practice, composite materials and engineering design drafting.
In the second year, students are introduced to the core mechanical engineering modules such as fluid mechanics, thermodynamics and strength of materials. Students will continue to hone their skills in the applied design through modules such as mechanical design practice and engineering design thinking.
In the final year of Polytechnic Diploma in Mechanical Engineering, students will choose the specialization options and work on the final year project that involves design and development of a new product with the real world application. Internships are also provided to the students.
The objectives of Polytechnic Diploma in Mechanical Engineering are to:
• Develop students with basic knowledge in mathematics, natural science and engineering fundamentals which are necessary to understand, formulate, analyze and to solve machine defects
• Develop professional skills and ability in students to design and conduct experiments
• To develop confidence through field exposure
• To develop sufficient knowledge and understanding of the fundamental computing principles to solve problems
• Candidates who passed their diploma could easily find jobs in administrative positions in several leading organizations
• The course prepares students for various educational, mechanical and related work profiles
• Students can also go for further studies like bachelor’s degree and then post-graduation
The program enables students to gain ability to:
• Apply knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering in designing, building, optimizing and testing several mechanical devices
• To do maintenance, repair and production of mechanical devices
• Do several industrial installations with their accessories
• Use techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for various engineering practices
10th with Maths, Science & English as Compulsory subjects and JET exam conducted by PSBTE & IT, Chandigarh.
As per Punjab State Board of Technical Education and Industrial Training(PSBTE&IT) norms.